Executive Board Meeting – Nov 21, 2022

Location:  CWC Headquarters (Arkville, NY)

Present:  Ric Coombe, David Kukle, Edward Snow, Bud Gladstone, Winifred Zubin, Greg Vurckio

Others:  Jeff Baker,  Jason Merwin, Nick Carbone,  Bruce Dolph, Michelle Yost, Mary Crisafulli, Cher Woehl

.

1.  Call to Order:  Ric Coombe called the meeting to order at 6:18 pm.

2.  August 15, 2022, Meeting Minutes Approval: 
Motion to approve the minutes made by Ed Snow and seconded by David Kukle.  Motion carried.    

.

3. Reports:

a.  FAD Deliverables:  Jeff reported that there has been two negotiating sessions with NYC and they are looking at revisions to the land acquisition programs. With a focus on land acquisitions that are tied to flood mitigation and stream acquisition programs.  He reported that the next negotiating session will be in January 2023.  It is the intent to open this January meeting to CWT members, community leaders, DEC, DOH  and other environmental parties.   Jeff also shared that prior to the January meeting, the city attorney is planning on preparing a comprehensive explanation of where they are in this process to give everyone a better understanding.   All members agreed that this would be very beneficial.  Discussion then occurred on options for providing education to the watershed towns/villages collectively so that they have a better understanding of the importance of the watershed and the issues.  Communicating and educating will enable the towns/villages to assist with input on issue resolution and decisions that ultimately impact their areas.  As part of this, there needs to be a mechanism for ensuring ongoing communications and information sharing to all our watershed towns/villages. 

b.  Streamside Acquisition:  Jeff reported that work is being done on a streamside acquisition program that will be community driven.  

c.  Flood Commission Reports:   Nothing to report

d.  CWC Report:  Jason reported that things are going smoothly, and construction is slowing down for now.  Jason also reported that DOH is recommending that NYC does studies in upstate community to identify how the watershed impacts them.   They are looking for academic assistance on these studies.   Jason shared that it is still in the infant stages.  They are focusing on the scope and approach for the study.  Ric said they agreed to look at the original studies (from 15 years ago) as a “baseline” to study against.   Jason shared that CWC is looking at short term rentals and impacts in the septic program.    

e.  Below the Reservoirs –  nothing to report

.

4. Warrants and Treasurer’s Report:   
Bud reported that as of October 31, 2022, the checking account had $8,623.51 and the savings account had $117,195.33.  Greg Vurckio made the motion to accept the Treasurer’s report, seconded by Ed Snow.  Report accepted.  
Bud presented warrant #96 in the amount of $6,819.12 for payment of August-October legal fees and July-September administrative fees.  David Kukle made a motion to pay warrant #96, seconded by Winifred ZubinMotion carried.

5.  Ric explained to members a request that came to CWT, via CWC, from a new homeowner wanting to resolve the issue of hooking up to the sewer system that was connected by previous owner in the past.   Ric did resolve the issue working with DEP and the Town.  However,  he pointed that in the future CWT will assist municipalities on issues and should not be in the business of providing help to individuals.  He will work with CWC on how to avoid this situation in the future.

6.   Ric presented the idea of organizing a facilitated discussion with CWT, CWC, DEC, DEP, etc. and all towns/villages/people across the counties west of the Hudson.  Purpose of this discussion would be to educate and communicate importance of the watershed, issues within the watershed, options for addressing issues, etc.  This would also promote the goal to have all towns/villages working together as a unified group and not as individuals.  Jeff suggested that this would be a great opportunity for addressing the Stream Management contracts that are coming up for renewal, providing the forum to look at these contracts together and not tackling them individually.  Members asked how we would facilitate notifying/inviting everyone.  One suggestion was to send invites to all town/villages and affected organizations and asking them to share with individuals that they deem would benefit from this.  Another suggestion was to ask CWT to handle the invites.   Discussions on this idea will continue.

7.  Members agreed that there would be no meeting in December and the next meeting will be scheduled for January 2023.

8.  Adjourn:  Motion to adjourn was made by Greg Vurckio, seconded by Ed Snow.   Motion carried.  Meeting adjourned at 7:32 pm. 

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s